Monday, June 27, 2016

1987 Mike Schmidt Odd-ball cards

Fellow blogger and Facebook friend Baseball Dad, saw a comment I made on Facebook a few weeks ago that I wished I owned a Jeanmar Gomez Phillies card. Gomez, at the time had 14 saves and led the NL in saves. Mr. Baseball Dad (known as Jack to his friends) said he'd send me one. I got a nice package of Phillies cards from him the other day. Not only did he send me the Gomez Topps Heritage card but a few other items. As much as I liked getting the Gomez card, this was my favorite thing in the envelope, a Mike Schmidt card I didn't have.

1987 Ralston Purina Collectors' Edition #14 Mike Schmidt

According to tradingcarddb.com, there are 81 Mike Schmidt trading cards or other items (like coins or disks) available. from 1987. 81! Well, now I have 28. Thanks Jack!

Here are a few other Mike Schmidt odd-ball cards from 1987.

1987 Donruss Pop-Up #17 Mike Schmidt

These came with packs of Donruss All-Star cards.

1987 Fleer Record Setters #35 Mike Schmidt

This was one of several 44-card Fleer sets produced in 1987 that were available at drug and department stores. They came in a box like a box of playing cards. This set was available only at Eckerd Drug Stores. I found a complete boxed set at a card store in 2009 for 2 bucks.

1987 Boardwalk and Baseball #1 Mike Schmidt

These cards were produced for the opening of an amusement park in Florida called “Boardwalk and Baseball” as a 33-card boxed set. I got this one in a trade with a fellow blogger, Cardboard Junkie.

1987 Woolworth #8 Mike Schmidt

Like Fleer, Topps also produced small boxed sets (these had 33 cards) available in retail outfits. This card also came from Cardboard Junkie. And finally,

1987 M&M's #3 Mike Schmidt

You've probably noticed that some of these cards don't have logos. That's because they didn't have a license from Major League Baseball. This card was produced by Mike Schectner Associates (MSA) who produced many such sets in the 1980s and 1990s. I got this in my 2010 Summer Clearance Trade.




1 comment:

BASEBALL DAD said...

Glad you enjoyed the cards !