Tuesday, June 9, 2015

More Phillies cards from Dan

Here are some more Phillies cards I got from Dan of dansotherworld. Check out his blog.

1989 Topps Wax Box Cards #O Kent Tekulve


 I was collecting in the late 1980s and I remember that several manufacturers were featuring cards on box bottoms, but I don't remember ever seeing one. In 1989, Topps had 16 cards in the set featuring players who reached some milestone. For some reason, they numbered them from A to P. Maybe so they wouldn't get confused with the regular set. Dan sent me the two Phillies from the set, Tekulve and Greg Gross.

1989 Toys R Us Rookies #16
I didn't have any cards from this set. There aren't many card sets with yellow borders, and that may just as well. But I actually like cards with yellow borders, probably because they are rare.

1992 O-Pee-Chee Premier #134 John Kruk
This was the first set that O-Pee-Chee released that didn't use the same design as Topps. A pretty nice looking card.

1992 Stadium Club Dome #4 Ron Allen
You don't see many cards featuring the player in his college uni. Dan sent me this and another Phillie from the set, Tyler Green. I already had the Kevin Stocker card. Only two to go, Kruk and Gene Schall.

1993 Fleer Atlantic #12 John Kruk
This is a nice odd-ball. It's the same basic design as 1993 Fleer except it has a gold border on the front and a gold background on the back. The regular card is silver. It also features different photos than the regular Fleer card. These were available in 5-card packs at Atlantic gas stations with an 8-gallon purchase. By the way, gas was going for about a dollar a gallon in 1993.

1997 Metal Universe #205 Scott Rolen
A Fleer product, perhaps the weirdest set ever produced. With his power belt on, Rolen could hit home runs into the next galaxy.

2000 Red Barons Magnets Jimmy Rollins
I don't really know what this is. I'm guessing it's from 2000 since that's the year Jimmy played with the Red Barons. It isn't really a baseball card but a refrigerator magnet. I guess it was a ballpark giveaway. Need and MRI? Call 800-383-4MRI.

2001 Bowman Heritage #24 Nelson Figueroa
2001 Bowman Heritage pretty much passed me by. I may have bought one pack. My first Phillie from the set.

2003 Fleer Splendid Splinters #41 Bobby Abreu

 Another of the myriad Fleer sets from the 2000s.

No comments: