Friday, September 21, 2012

2008 Topps Gold Foil

2008 Topps had white borders with silver foil for the player name and their logo.

You remember this set. Not a lot of people liked it due to the cartoon-like team name lettering. As I remember people didn't much like the tab at the top of the photo either.

As I may have mentioned, I'm in the process of putting away 2-3 years worth of cards and while I'm doing it I'm checking the Phillies cards I have against my database and correcting counts. I had listed two of these Kendrick cards. On closer inspection, I realized that one of them was actually the Gold Foil variation.

If you use your imagination you can see the difference between the cards. According to baseballcardpedia.com, the Gold Foil cards were available 1 in 2 packs in both retail and hobby.  I didn't see them in anything like at profusion. Maybe I have more but it is very difficult, even in person, to see the difference between the silver and gold foil.

This isn't really that big of a deal but I was watching the Phillies play the Braves when I pulled up these cards. Kyle Kendrick was pitching when I made the discovery. During the summer when I'm mostly working on my collection I am usually watching or listening to either a Phillies or Astros game.  I can't tell you how many times its happened that I'd be holding a card and that player would come into the game. And not just Phillies or Astros, often it will be a player on the other team.

Weird.

And just as I was ready to hit the post button, Chase Utley hit a home run to put the Phillies up over the Braves, 6-2, in the bottom of the eighth.

No comments: