Thursday, December 22, 2016

Players I Collect - 2016 continued

We're getting near the end of this series of players that I've collected over the years who had cards in 2016.

Ryne Sandberg

Topps 100 Years at Wrigley #26

Topps Archives #41

Topps Allen & Ginter #180
There's probably a Topps Bunt card for Sandberg as well. In addition to his playing career, Sandberg was the manager for the Phillies from 2013 to 2015 where he compiled a 119-159 record before he resigned. Sandberg was the 20th round draft pick of the Phillies in 1978 and actually played a few games for the Phillies in 1981. But I suppose everyone knows that. I have 150 Sandberg cards in my collection, spanning his whole career.

Tom Seaver

Stadium Club Legends Die-Cuts #8
This is a pretty nice card I pulled from a blaster of Stadium Club

Topps MLB Debut Series 2 #7
The original Tom Terrific. I only have 59 Seaver cards and most of those are post-career cards. I didn't start collecting until 1985, the year before he retired.

Gary Sheffield

Topps Archives

Sheffield retired in 2009 and it's only been the past 3 years when his post-career cards started showing up.

John Smoltz

Stadium Club #267


Topps Archives #45
For years a part of a terrific Braves staff, Smoltz was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2015. In 25 post-season games, he is 15-4.

Willie Stargell

Topps Allen & Ginter The Numbers Game #12
Stargell is one of the players I collect that I saw play a lot. While he played, my Phillies and the Pirates had a great in-state rivalry, and both were in the old NL East.

Frank Thomas

Topps Archives #151

Topps Allen & Ginter #268
Topps Bunt #184
Most players disappear from the hobby for several years after they retire. Not the Big Hurt. I have cards for him for every year since his first season until this year. He retired in 2009 and was elected to the Hall of Fame in 2014. Although he played during the steroid age he managed to not get tainted by it while hitting 521 career home runs.

OK, one more post and I can wrap this series up.



No comments: