Monday, June 23, 2014

Some odd-ball Phillies stuff

I recently won an auction for some odd-ball Phillies cards. The package had 54 items in it. Here's a few of them. I'll post more later in the week.

1986 Leaf
Not so terribly odd. I've seen these before but I never had any Phillies from the set. Leaf was the Canadian parent of Donruss back in those days and issued cards in Canada under the Leaf name. The fronts are exactly the same as Donruss but the backs have some added information in French. I always like the 1986 Donruss design.



1987 Classic Travel Update 2

Classic produced cards as part of a trivia game in the late 1980s and early 1990s. This is only the second of this set I've ever seen.

1987 Fleer Star Stickers
These were sold by Fleer as a separate issue, 5 stickers per wax pack. I had only had one card from this 132-card set before.

1988 O-Pee-Chee

Unlike, the Leaf/Donruss relationship, O-Pee-Chee was a Canadian company, independent of Topps. It licensed Topps designs for cards produced for the Canadian market.

1990 Classic Update
Classic produced 3 sets in 1990. Classic Blue (with pink stripes) was a 150 card set which I bought new complete with a game board and spinner. Classic Yellow (with blue stripes) was a 100-card set which I also own complete. The have the same design as Classic Update except for the color scheme. I had a couple of these lurid pink Update cards but no Phillies.


No comments: