Tuesday, January 29, 2013

2011 Topps American Pie - Part 2

In December 2011, I did a post about a blaster box of 2011 Topps American Pie I had bought. As I continue to put away three years worth of card purchases, I recently came across them again. I thought I'd see what else from the set I could find on eBay.

2011 Topps American Pie Relics #24 Susan Lucci
Lucci plays Erica Kane on the long running soap opera All My Children, a program I've never seen even though it was on TV from 1971 through 2011. Apparently, Lucci has been on the show for the entire run. The card features a piece of memorabilia "from an authentic item worn by Susan Lucci". I didn't get this because I'm a fan or hers, but because, at $3.99, it was the cheapest card from the set I could find. I was saving my money for this next item.

2011 Topps American Pie Pieces
If it looks like this card has a little plastic bag of dirt embedded in it, well, it does. It contains "authentic earth" presumably from the Lewis and Clark Trail. The Trial runs for 3,700 miles, some of it through private property, so I imagine that Topps didn't have too much trouble getting a spadeful of dirt from somewhere along it's length. I can hardly believe I paid $15.25 for this. It's about the weirdest individual card purchase I've made. There are 4 cards in this set. The others are The Statue of Liberty, The Grassy Knoll, and Gettysburg. I don't know for sure but I guess they all contain a little bag of "authentic earth".

This card is as thick as 8 regular cards. If it was inserted into a pack of American Pie, it must have been the only card in the pack. Also, since it is so thick, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. It sure isn't going into a standard 9-pocket album sleeve.

2 comments:

The Dimwit said...

We have the Statue of Liberty and the Grassy Knoll! The SoL is some granite from a piece of the base and the knoll is just dirt. Super thick cards! We found thick penny sleeves and got them in 8 card page pockets. If you ever get tired of the Lewis and Clark, we are aiming to get all 4 of these relics!

Josh D. said...

If you are ever looking for something like "Hollywood" or "The Pacific Ocean" I would be happy to mail you a baggie of dirt or sand for 15 bucks. :-)