Sunday, February 24, 2008

Song of the Week - Moody Blues "Dear Diary"

This Moody Blues song was released in April 1969 on their "On The Threshold of a Dream" LP. The video is a short film using the song as the theme music. It gets off to a weird start until the credits for the movie pass. Stick with it, its a good song and the little film is nice too. Unfortunately, the video stops a bit before the actual end of the music. In the lyrics below, the last stanza is missing. For those of you who don't know the song, these words are spoken as the music fades out. I always like the line "Somebody exploded an H-bomb today, but it wasn't anyone I knew".



Dear diary, what a day it's been.
Dear diary, it's been just like a dream.
Woke up late. Wasn't where I should have been.
For goodness sake what's happening to me.
Write lightly, yours truly, dear diary.

It was cold outside my door.
So many people by the score.
Rushing around so senselessly.
They don't notice there's people like me.
Write lightly, yours truly, dear diary.

They don't know what they're playing.
They've no way of knowing what the game is.
Still they carry on doing what they can.
Outside me, politely, dear diary.

It's over. Will tomorrow be the same?
I know that they're really not to blame.
If they wern't so blind then surely they'd see.
There's a much better way for them to be.
Inside me, yours truly, dear diary.
...
Dear Diary it was cold today but the sun came out later
So I went out and strolled about looking at the shops
Didn't really see anything I liked so I didn't buy anything
On the way home I posted a letter
Been quite a nice day
Somebody exploded an H-bomb today.
But it wasn't anyone I knew.

No comments: