Friday, September 13, 2013

2013 Topps Chipz

This post may go far in answering the question "Will I buy any damn thing that has a baseball player on it"?

My introduction to Topps Chipz came with the promo card in packs of Topps.

My first thought was "Pogs!" Remember pogs? Unless you (or your kids) are of a certain age this is a fad you might have missed. For a brief moment, around 1991-1992, pogs were popular. My kids were just the right age and we had hundreds, it not thousands, ot them around the house. Then, all of a sudden, they were gone. Pogs were circular pieces of cardboard with various images on them. There was some kind of game played with them that involved the use of a thicker, heavier disk, called a slammer. These Topps Chipz are more like slammers.  They are an eighth of an inch thick, made of metal and weigh almost a half an ounce.

Seen one, you've pretty much seen them all. I bought 4 packs, for $1.98/pack. Each contained 4 Chipz. Among the variations are Gold and Silver. I pulled one gold (odds 1:3 packs).
Some of them are magnetic. They don't look any different. The magnetic ones are inserted 1:4 and I got 2.

Glow In The Dark Chipz are inserted 1 in 2 packs.
These are not shiny but have a glow in the dark finish. I can affirm that the do indeed glow in the dark, but just barely. I got 3 of them.

Every pack has a 'game board'.
Instructions for several games, each involving some different method of getting one of your Chipz on a number, are printed on the back. My guess is that this could provide minutes of fun for a 8-year-old.

The only saving grace of the 4 packs is that I got two Phillies.
One final thing. One Chipz in each pack had a plastic cover over the heads side, like this.
The logo cover comes right off. There's no adhesive, they are like those plastic film things you can put on your car windows.

1 comment:

unclemoe said...

I still need to check these out. Look good.